Click here for a print-friendly version of this article
…….are all descriptive terms used to describe and exciting trend that is slowly but surely taking place in the dental profession today.
Holistic dentistry could be explained as “all things considered”. The word holistic is of Greek origin meaning: “relating to whole”. This approach involves far more than technique, it encompasses a total awareness relating to the physical, mental, and spiritual well being of the entire body. A holistic dentist is concerned about possible side effects to the rest of the body from every dental material used and every dental procedure performed.
Patient education is very important in holistic dentistry and prevention is the best procedure to follow; therefore, the way to prevention is through education and awareness.
Biological dentistry evaluates each patient as an individual who requires special needs based on his or her unique make-up. Biocompatibility is most important in choosing specific dental materials that appear best suited for each patient. All patients should be involved in the decision making process about what materials will be used.
Incorporating body chemistry analysis and providing nutritional guidance with dentistry are also part of holistic dentistry. Body chemistry analysis is a broad concept including hormones, enzymes, digestion, assimilation, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and other body constituents. They are affected by eating habits, lifestyle, and genetics. An imbalanced body chemistry produces an environment conducive to tooth decay and gum disease. Decayed teeth and periodontitis are outward signs of internal problems.
- Does not offer metal fillings.
- Evaluates the biocompatibility of dental materials before their placement in the mouth.
- Provides nutritional support and assistance.
- Does not offer nickel based crowns or cast partials.
- Does offer gold, solid porcelain or plastic fillings.
- Does offer gold, solid porcelain or plastic crowns.
- Does not promote the use of fluoride treatments.
- Does offer non-adrenaline, non-preservative anesthetics.
- Does protect patients when removing silver/mercury fillings.
- Does have an open mind for your concerns about safer dentistry.
- Does take the time to listen to your concerns.
One of the primary goals in our office is advancement of our profession through education. Our office is always available to provide information on these topics to interested individuals on request. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office.