What Makes “Safe Mercury Removal” Safe? Being SMART!

by | Jun 19, 2019 | Mercury / Dental Amalgam

Because mercury is such a toxic element, particularly dangerous when inhaled, we go to great lengths to protect the health of our patients, ourselves, and our planet whenever we remove “silver” mercury amalgam fillings to replace them with biocompatible restorations.

This means following the SMART Protocol developed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT) – the professional association Dr. Rehme currently leads as president. Here’s a look at what this protocol involves:


To learn much more about the impact of dental mercury on human health and why safety is paramount when dealing with amalgam, explore our archives or IAOMT resources on dental amalgam. Also be sure to check out their article on alternatives to mercury amalgam fillings.

If you live outside the metro St. Louis area or aren’t able to travel to visit us here in our office, use the IAOMT’s member directory to find a SMART-certified biological dentist near you.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments Policy & Disclaimer

We welcome your comments and review all comments before letting them post. Any comments that include profanity, personal attacks, unfounded allegations or appear to be spam will not be approved. This is a moderated forum.

We regret that we cannot comment or offer advice on specific, personal dental health situations on this blog. Just give us a call at our office instead: (314) 997-2550. We’d be glad to speak with you.

This blog is for educational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for individual health, fitness or medical advice.



Skip to content